General FAQs

What is is an ethereum based arts platform showcasing and selling artwork by the worlds most respected artists, illustrators and creative practitioners.

What is Ethereum?
Ethereum (ETH) is a popular crypto currencies that enable to work. This particular currencies also allows developer s to build platforms and infrastructure around it. Ethereum acts like any other currency; the value fluctuates with the market.

What are digital assets?
Rare digital artwork, (or assets) is a limited-edition collectible that is registered as a 'token' on the blockchain. Blockchain technology allows unique, provably-scarce tokens to be held and securely traded from one collector to another. They represent transparent, audit-able origin and provenance for a piece of digital art.
Recommend reading • Artnome’s What Is CryptoArt? . A great place to get a better understanding.

Buying digital art

What do I need to get started?
To buy any digital artwork via KnownOrigin, you will need a, CoinBase Wallet app or TrustWallet app on mobile. These will act as your wallet and keys to view any artwork your purchase - Do not lose your private keys!

What is
Metamask allows you to run Ethereum dApps fully integrated into your browser. Visit there website at for more information about what it is.

How do I buy on KnownOrigin?
Once metamask is installed make sure it is set to “Main Ethereum Network” by using the dropdown at the top of the Metamask window. 

Simply browse the gallery, From here, all you have to do is click "View details" on the artwork you intend to purchase, agree to the "term of service" and click "Buy now" . The Metamask window will appear to complete the transaction.

How do I know if the transaction has gone through
Please be patient, decentralised platforms can take few minutes to respond. When a transaction is submitted, you will receive a success message on the artwork card. You can click "View account" to see the artwork in your wallet.

What is the KODA licence?
The KODA agreement is a basic contract between the artist and buyer. The agreement simply outline the terms of use for the asset. This is in place to help prevent any copy right infringements and any mis-use of assets for commercial endeavours. Full term of service and usage license are available.

Submitting artwork to the

What do I need to get started?
To start submitting artwork to you will need to first fill in the short submission form. This will add your artwork for selection to the artist community. We add new artwork to the gallery manually so this take a little bit of time. Please be patient. 

What is the artwork submission form?
This form is for artists to complete with information regarding their artwork. This information is then used on the  gallery to describe and sell the artwork. Submission form link

What file format do I need to save my artwork as?
The digital art files accepted are Jpg, Svg, Gif or PDF. We ask all the artist to upload High-res (5mb) files of their artwork via the submission form.

How do I get I get paid?
We use smart-contracts that ensures payments are prompt and transparent. Simply add your your Ethereum Wallet Address to the submission form. We do not accept Exchange accounts (eg: Bittrex) 

How much of the sale do I get?
When you sell a piece of art, you receive 80% of the sale. The remaining 20% is used for dApp enhancements and further development of the project.

What is a Ethereum wallet address?

Ethereum is the crypto currencies that collectors use to purchase digital artwork. You can get a Wallet address by downloading either Coinbase Wallet or Your Wallet address can be found in the settings or displayed with your profile. Once you have shared your ETH address with us we can pay you directly to your wallet.


Getting started
You can use this guide to help you get started. This guide will walk you through your first steps on becoming a crypto art collector. Source Medium: Getting started guide 

My Transactions are taking a long time and are failing?
You should clear your cache and reload the browser that you are using. Make sure you have enough GAS and raise your GAS limit.

What is GAS
GAS in short is powering the transaction on the Ethereum network. GAS prices may vary depending on the Ethereum network, but generally more GAS helps the transaction process faster, keep in mind this will also make the transaction fee more expensive.